Snowboarding, Dog Sledding, Ice Skating and enjoying the beautiful scenery of Banff/Canmore, Alberta Area
22.01.2011 - 14.02.2011 -2 °C
It's been a while since our last post but I guess that's the joys of having lots of fun and no committments! Really though...it's SO nice not working. Ok..for those of you who haven't stopped reading yet here's what we've been up to....
We spent our first week at a Hotel in Banff getting to know the area and checking out the local ski hills. In the first week we've discovered some of our favorite and more frequented spots in Banff:
- The Elk and Orseman's Tuesday night $8 steak sandwich special and local brew Elk pints for $4 is worth a mention...I think we've been there every Tues since we arrived! ha!
- The Banff Ave Brewing Co. who brew their own fine beer. OK..straight into the pubs I am..what a surprise.
The ski hills....we went 1 day each to Sunshine Village, Lake Louise and Norquay. Lake Louise won for us hands down even though it's a bit of a drive out of the way. The runs are longer, runs on both sides of the hill (great for windy days) and the beers are cheaper (ha! ok..not why we chose it but true!). After our first week we decided Lake Louise was going to be our hill of choice.
After much time and effort spent on trying to find a place to live (we visited 1 place)...we found a condo in Canmore rooming with a guy who's been home a total of maybe 2 nights in the 3 weeks we've been here. Works for us! It's a nice 2BR condo, view of the rockies, hot tub, gym and even has heated floors! Sweet. However, it doesn't have a tv..not good for the sports nut in the family but great for encouraging us to get outside and enjoy this wonderful area!
What we've been up to...
Snowboarding at Lake Louise!! Just yesterday I ventured out in my new properly fitted boarding boots and what an amazing day it was! There was 15cm of snow overnight and when we arrived many of the runs were closed because they were avalanche bombing. Once a successful bomb is complete the run opens up and guess what - pure powder!
My first powder experience was yesterday - it was amazing and frustrating at the same time. Basically...Ash was yelling at me to do everything exactly the opposite as what I've been learning the last 3 weeks. Powder is different he says!! I tried...all was going good until my board got bogged down under the snow and I came to a slow stop. Doesn't sound to bad right? Wrong....I fell on my butt. No big deal you say? Wrong! Every time I tried to pop up on my board my arm would just sink into snow up past my elbow..I had no leverage. It was SO tiring! Eventually..after about 10 mins of struggling I managed to get back up, made my way out and well....I wanted to do it again of course! haha!
Jocelyn and Brian came to Banff for a vacation and we had tons of fun!! In addition to boarding together at Louise we went skating at the Fairmont Banff Springs, Dog Sledding and of course had a few good meals (including the steak sandwhich special) and a couple of drinks together. OK..after one night out with Jocelyn having had a bit too much red wine I did have a very rough morning on the hill. Her fault.
Other notable items:
- Denise gets new boarding jacket (thanks Dad!!)
- Denise gets new boarding boots
- Ash gets a Kindle (Happy Birthday Ash!)
- Soaking in the hot springs
- Great night out with Jocelyn & Brian at the Grizzly House fondue restaurant (+ a litre of wine - Jocelyn insisted!!)
- Brian carving up the hill so hard that "grass was flying"
- the Huskey puppies at the dog sledding day! SO cute!
- over budget
- having an AMAZING time
Oh..I can't sign out without some beer talk (as if I haven't done enough):
- Elk & Orseman in Banff: Elk lager
- Banff Ave Brewing Co: Any!
- Drake in Canmore: I had a fantastic Old Fashioned Pilsner today On Tap! Jackie...I thought of you.
- Grizzly Paw in Canmore: Powder Pilsner
- Kokanee Gold: Ash's local fave
Off to Fort Mac and Edmonton on Wed to visit family and friends. Back in two weeks!!
Don't forget to leave us a comment...it's the most fun part for us!
Denise n Ash
For more pics check out this public link to facebook: